Friday, January 18, 2008

Bartelstein: "Unfortunately, the chemo has not worked"

The Daily News' Richard Huff reports disappointing news in anchor Steve Bartelstein's battle with testicular cancer: Not only have his four rounds of chemotherapy not been effective, but doctors worry that the cancer has spread to his brain.

Here are some of Bartelstein's quotes from the article:
  • "I don't want to make it sound more dramatic than it is. I'm a little worried; it's somewhere else."
  • "I'm not scared. I hate to say it, it sounds like a commercial for [Memorial] Sloan-Kettering, but they say not to be worried."
  • "In their [the doctors'] words, 'We're disturbed, we're curious, we don't know why this is happening; if it was terrible, we would have seen something before this.'"
  • "When I say I'm worried, I just want to find out. I'm still pretty upbeat about it. I've said this before; in some ways, it's been kind of this great gift, I've met so many amazing people."
  • "I might have had one of those days last week, when word got back it didn't work. I'm really, really tired of being sick. For the most part, I haven't had many of those days, but I'm tired of being sick."
Update: Kristine Johnson spoke with Bartelstein at the end of CBS 2 News at 5:00... That segment is available on wcbstv.com.

No comments: